KelliPundit

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Only Poor Mentors Need to Apply

An admirable story today in my local paper, The Shreveport Times, tells of a mentoring program by the state:
A Caddo program wants parish inmates' permission to let senior citizens mentor their children in hopes that the youths don't wind up in jail like their parents.
I think we can all get behind something like this. However, one point jumped out at me that I can not make sense of, the criteria for being a foster grandparent includes a limited income:
A foster grandparent must be at least 60 years of age, willing to donate 20 hours a week and have a limited income.
What am I missing here? Does the state feel that people who are financially secure represent a bad portion of society or can not give love and guidance to a child? Nothing like limiting your pool of applicants that desire to help needy children.

Your government at work.