KelliPundit

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Dripping with Pride

My husband and I attended a little dinner last night. Not just any usual dinner, but his graduation from his fellowship. The reason why we're here in Rhode Island was for his training as a Pediatric Surgeon, a lifelong goal of his.

The enormity of the accomplishment is palpable. Two years of going to work at 5 a.m. and returning home around 11 p.m. or midnight. Many, many nights saw no sleep for my hubby. He persevered through the many hills and valleys. It takes a very special person and mentality to make it through something like this.

Though he certainly wasn't the only one to sacrifice for this goal. Two little boys have missed their Daddy an awful lot. They of course have no idea what we were doing here anyway; all they knew was that their daddy was not home.

The speech my husband gave last night was very moving and set the tone for the rest of the evening which was what a very special priviledge it is for parents to allow you to take their most precious gifts from God and operate on them. It is an awesome responsibility which he takes very seriously.

So at the age of 36 my husband just attended his last graduation for himself. The road to get here was pre-med and medical school, 5 years of general surgery training, 2 years in the research lab, 4 years in the Air Force, and 2 years of Fellowship. And what do you get at the end of this road?
100_0869
This year, in the U.S. and Canada, only about 28 people will receive a similar piece of paper.

I thank my husband for his kind words towards me last night during his speech and thank God for the gift that he is to me and my boys and to the many, many families he has already touched and will touch in the next 30-35 years to come.