KelliPundit

Friday, May 27, 2005

RI Drivers: Worst in U.S.


See! I told you so!! How many times a day do I roll my eyes at these drivers up here? Let's just say that I'm surprised my eyes have not gotten stuck. The ProJo has the article (reg.required):
When it comes to knowing the rules of the road, Rhode Island drivers are last in the nation, according to a nationwide survey by GMAC Insurance.

We know what you're thinking: They needed a survey to figure this out?

Massachusetts drivers were next-to-last.

Around the country, the survey shows that 1 in 10 licensed drivers "may be unfit for roads," according to GMAC Insurance.
"If all Americans took their driver's test over again, 20 million would fail," said Robin Pifer, director of marketing for the St. Louis-based insurance company. "I was surprised. We were polling people who have been driving for years.(/snip)
Yep, that's right folks. Here in Providence I'm surrounded by idiot drivers. But let's not stop there! More details:
Most of the Northeast and mid-Atlantic scored near the bottom: 1 in 5 drivers from those regions failed to achieve a passing grade of 70 on the test. Rhode Islanders scored an average of 77. The test also suggests that the nation's least knowledgeable drivers, here in the Northeast, are also the ones most likely to speed.
"Results suggest that many Americans find standard driving practices vexing, including merging, failure to yield when making left turns, and road-sign interpretation," the company said in a statement.

Vexing I tell you! Vexing!!
The survey also revealed:
• 1 in 4 Americans admit they would roll though a stop sign.
• 1 in 3, when running late, would speed up for a yellow light even if a pedestrian was waiting to cross.
• 1 in 2 do not merge correctly into heavy traffic.
• 1 in 10 admit they "usually" exceed the speed limit by more than 11 mph.
• 1 in 4 do not know how to pass a slow-moving vehicle.
As a southerner living in RI for the past two years, I can personally attest to the accuracy of these results. New England drivers SUCK!!

UPDATE: I forgot to mention that yesterday I counted four cars running a red light turning left. There was no room for the last car to get through and he ended up blocking traffic flow that actually had the green light. A prime example of New England stupidity - I can't tell you how many times a day I see similar driving travesties all over the city. Have I mentioned today that I have 27 days left here?

Thanks to KinRI for the tip!