KelliPundit

Saturday, April 09, 2005

In Memory...

Today my heart is breaking and there is no stopping the tears.

I remember a line from a movie years ago - a mother talking to her son about letting your heart takes pictures of your memories. Memories that you recall all the time; it doesn’t matter how many years have gone by, they’re just as vivid in your mind from the moment they occurred.

Growing up there are always people around that you remember for different reasons: For whom they were, what they said, their jokes - their kindness.

In my junior high to college years I had a best friend who had 3 other siblings, she was the youngest. My friend came along about 9 years after the first 3 were born - the oldest a sister, a brother and another brother, Mark. There is no way to over exaggerate the amount of time I spent with this lively, affectionate family. My friend and I were growing up in the country, it was 2 miles between our houses, and we were in our early teens. I spent numerous weekends/summers at her house and loved every minute of it. Her siblings were so much older than us (and my other siblings), it was like hanging out with adults all the time, which they were, of course. We were in the 8th or 9th grade and they were either graduating college or already along in their careers. It is easy to see that their house was the more ‘cool’ place to hang out. Not only could they drive, but they actually had cars! They all drove us places or just took us along to wherever they were headed.

Mark had competed in body building and was a big, big guy. He would come breezing in from wherever, plop down in the living room and start ragging on us. We would always throw out to him whatever it was we were up to: “Hey Mark, we’re going to the movies tonight.” Or “Hey Mark, we’re going swimming later.” Or “Hey Mark, I’ve got a new boyfriend.” He had a usual comeback for us on anything we were bragging about. If you look on my right side-bar you’ll see it. “Well Kelli, Isn’t that just slicker than snot on a doorknob!”

If you’re a regular reader, you know that I’ve had that “Glenn Reynolds fake quote” on my site for at least 2 months now. I’ve not been with this family for about 15 years and tonight I found out that Mark died in September of 2000.

Don’t ask why it had been so long since I’ve spent time or communicated with this family. My friend and I were a couple of immature girls that had our disagreements. I graduated college in 1993 and left my hometown. I made other friends and moved on, though I have relived my memories with this family time and again. I’ve missed them often, all of them, for they all made lasting impressions on me that I’ve carried in my heart and soul every day of my life.

Even though I am hearing of this news late, it doesn’t feel that way to my heart. Her siblings became my siblings, her parents were my surrogate parents, and it is as if I have lost a brother. All I know of his death was that he went horseback riding and never came back. His father found him in a field. His sister told me that they have no idea what happened to him.

Be thankful for this day, for tomorrow is not promised to any of us.