KelliPundit

Monday, February 21, 2005

A Tribute to Paul M.Johnson - History You Can Trust

Several years ago I thought I needed to brush up on American history and set out to buy a text book on this topic. At the local book store I innocently picked up one entitled, "A People's History of the United States: 1492-Present" by Howard Zinn. I perused the book for some time and was struck by the book's anti-American tone and content. Zinn had several other textbooks on the shelf and I remember thinking how dangerous it would be for citizens to adopt his warped sense of our proud history. (For those with interest, I recommend Daniel Flynn's review of Zinn's book). At that point, I did some research to find an American history textbook that reflected a fair and scholarly analysis of the history of the United States. " A History of the American People," by the British historian Paul M. Johnson, is just such a book and it gets my enthusiastic recommendation as a staple for all American households. I wanted to note his book today as he has a wonderful piece on Forbes.com in which he praises the United States pro-democracy push around the world to combat terrorism and is critical of much of Europe for not standing tall with us. Three cheers for this patriotic Brit!